Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Let's Find More Bad Guys Online - No Let's Go Find The Standouts and Exceptional Humans

Not long ago, I was talking with a top web designer about the algorithms used to do semantic search, and how the searching of big data throughout the online social media could indeed help root out customers, terrorists, trouble makers, and trend setters. Now then although I've been a critic about the violation of personal privacy, I understand why intelligence agencies wish to tap into big data and use algorithms and search strategies to fish out the bad guys. Yes, that makes sense to me, even if I don't like all the false positives it creates. Okay so let's talk shall we?

There was an interesting article on the Dark Government website recently titled; "AI Monitoring Research Program Bankrolled by EU," which stated; "A five-year research program, called Project Indect, aims to develop computer programs which act as "agents" to monitor and process information from web sites, discussion forums, file servers, peer-to-peer networks and even individual computers. Its main objectives include the automatic detection of threats and abnormal behavior or violence.

If citizens cannot trust the social networks or communicating online, then we created a complete travesty in that the greatest communication device ever created in the history of mankind will longer work for the citizens, business people, and those who use it. In that case it's of no value; it's ruined, hijacked, and manipulated into something that it isn't. Rather than looking for the bad guys, why not also look for the good guys? If we approach this slightly differently, then those who are good would realize that they will be put on a good list, and not necessarily accidentally on a bad one.

The reason I bring this up is as I was talking to the online web developing guru, I realized that such a system to find the standouts and exceptional humans in our society is so viable, and so worth creating, that I decided that perhaps I should be the one to creating it since no one else seems to be trying. What I think happened was that after 9/11 everyone became so paranoid and also upset that the intelligence agencies were not working together which allowed the event to occur in the first place, that everyone wanted to fix the program and find ways to stop future events.

In all this chaos and fear generated intellectual groupthink, everyone started looking in the wrong direction, rather than on a positive note. That's all I'm saying here. Indeed I hope you will please consider all this and think on it.



View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad if you could leave a comment.